Council on Graduate Education - UTDPP1053
The Council on Graduate Education advises the Dean of Graduate Studies on all aspects of graduate education at The University of Texas at Dallas. The Council will make recommendations to the Dean in the following areas:
- Coordination of all academic procedures with regard to the conferring of higher degrees.
- Establishment of policies, consistent with the general academic policies of the university recommended by the Academic Senate and adopted by the university, regarding:
- admission to graduate status and candidacy for higher degrees,
- general standards for Master’s and Doctoral level degrees,
- appointment of committees in charge of candidates' studies and research,
- supervision of examinations for higher degrees,
- transfer of credit and evaluation of other credentials related to admission to U. T. Dallas graduate degree programs, and
- standards and modalities for the submission of dissertations.
- Revisions to graduate catalog copy to be forwarded for review by the Committee on Educational Policy.
- Review of candidates for higher degrees for consideration by the Academic Senate and recommend such minor suspensions of the regulations by the Dean as may be advisable for specific candidacies.
- Advise on all matters regarding evolving trends in graduate education at the national and regional level that the Dean will report to the Academic Senate.
- Participate in the periodic review of existing and proposed graduate programs.
- Review of policies and procedures pertaining to graduate student support and scholarships, and proposals for the establishment of support that recognizes graduate student achievement.
- Development of programs and activities to encourage, foster, and support scholarly and creative research and achievement in graduate education.
- Development of recommendations for the Dean to present to the Executive Vice President and Provost and to the Vice President for Research concerning graduate offerings associated with academic centers, institutes, and other comparable entities.
The Dean of Graduate Studies is the academic officer responsible for coordinating support for the graduate programs of the university and for implementing the policies of the university in regard to graduate education. The Council on Graduate Education functions as an executive committee to advise and assist the Dean.
The Dean of Graduate Studies shall convene and chair the Council. The members of the Council will be the Associate Dean of graduate studies for each of the schools in the university or a representative appointed by the school dean. The Chair, or the Chair at the request of any Council member, may invite non-voting participation from other faculty with expertise on any matter before the Council.
- Issued: 2002-10-14
- Editorial Amendments: 2006-11-29
- Editorial Amendments: 2007-01-11
- Editorial Amendments: 2016-12-14