Evaluation of Academic Administrators - UTDPP1047
The University of Texas at Dallas is committed to regular, substantive reviews of its academic administrators and to involvement of members of the faculty, staff, and students in these reviews.
- The Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents, Rule 30501, Section 1 requires annual evaluation of all U.T. System employees to be used for the improvement of performance, promotion consideration, and merit salary review. Rule 31101, Section 3 of the Rules also requires that all academic administrators below the level of President receive periodic evaluations that include faculty, staff, and student input. To simplify the schedule of the review of academic administrators and to provide substantial feedback, every academic administrator at U.T. Dallas will be formally reviewed three years after the initial administrative appointment and at least every six years thereafter. The review shall be comprehensive and include input from faculty, staff, and students, and where appropriate alumni, community leaders, and other sources identified in the charge to the committee from the President or Provost. Comments by full-time faculty members in the appropriate academic unit will provide the faculty's response to the academic administrator's performance in that unit. Faculty members in an academic unit are encouraged, moreover, to provide information to an academic administrator's supervising officer at any time regarding that academic administrator's performance.
- For the purpose of this policy, an academic administrator is defined as an individual who has either direct and significant responsibility for determination of the duties, support, and/or compensation for faculty or has supervisory responsibilities over major academic support functions such as the library and research. In the current administrative structure at U.T. Dallas, academic administrators include the Provost, the Vice President for Research, the Dean of Graduate Studies, the Dean of Undergraduate Education, the School Deans, the Director of the Callier Center for Communication Disorders, the Dean of Libraries, the Director of Research Administration, the Department or Program Heads, and the Associate Deans in each School.
- The President has responsibility, directly or through designees, for appointment, review, and dismissal of all administrative officers, including the Provost, Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors, Department or Program Heads, and Associate Deans.
- The responsibility for the review of an academic administrator, with significant involvement of and input from full-time faculty will, in general, be delegated by the President to that administrator's immediate supervisor. Thus, the Provost and School Deans normally will conduct the reviews of the academic administrators whom they supervise.
- Review procedures:
- Reviews will normally be initiated by the administrator's immediate supervisor in the fall semester, but may occur at any time of the academic year. The immediate supervisor will be responsible for the development of a timetable for the review process.
- The immediate supervisor will be responsible for the distribution and collection of faculty comment forms and for the analysis of the responses on these forms.
- Faculty comment forms will be sent by the immediate supervisor to all full-time faculty members in the unit of the academic administrator being evaluated (see attached Form A). In the case of the review of the Vice President for Research, Dean of Libraries, Director of Research Administration, and Undergraduate and Graduate Deans, the Provost will distribute faculty comment forms to all full-time faculty (see attached Form C). In the case of the review of the Provost, the President will distribute faculty comment forms to all full-time faculty (see attached Form C). In the case of the review of a school dean, faculty comment forms will be sent to full-time faculty outside of the dean's school upon request to the Office of the Chief Academic Officer (see attached Form B). Faculty comment forms from faculty within a school will be distinguishable from those submitted by faculty outside the school. In the case of Associate Deans, Department Heads, and Program Heads, the Dean of the School will distribute faculty comment forms to all full-time faculty within the school or department as appropriate.
- In addition, the immediate supervisor will contact faculty members to solicit individual (or group) interviews.
- The immediate supervisor will also interview students from appropriate student organizations and will hold an open forum to garner student feedback. Similar meetings will be arranged to obtain input from the staff in the relevant academic unit.
- To the extent allowed by law, supervisors will not reveal the identity of the sources of all written comments received from faculty in connection with the review of an academic administrator. No anonymous material other than the official surveys that correspond with this policy will be considered as part of the review.
- After the immediate supervisor has received and analyzed faculty comments, as well as other feedback from staff and students, regarding an academic administrator under review, the immediate supervisor will meet with the academic administrator being reviewed to discuss the supervisor’s analysis of these comments and any action thought required for this analysis.
- Following the immediate supervisor's meeting with the academic administrator being reviewed, the supervisor will convene a meeting to communicate his/her response to the review to the faculty members in the relevant academic unit. In the case of a review of the Dean of Graduate Studies, Dean of Undergraduate Education, the deans of the schools, and the Dean of Libraries, the Provost's response will be communicated to the Academic Senate. The review of the Vice President for Research and the Provost will be reported to the Senate by the President of the University.
- Upon the completion of reviews of School Deans, Department or Program Heads, and Associate Deans, these administrators will meet with the faculties of the relevant academic units to discuss issues raised by faculty in the review process.
- At the conclusion of the review process, the supervisor will forward the academic administrator's review file and the supervisor’s written report containing the substance of the review to her/his own immediate supervisor.
- A summary of the report will be provided to the administrator under review and to the administrator’s supervisor and will be made available to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Once a year the Provost will report to the Academic Senate regarding any reviews of academic administrators that have been conducted in the preceding year.
- Faculty Evaluation of Academic Administrators Survey Form
- Immediate supervisors will distribute, at a minimum, the relevant university survey form (Form A) that is attached to this policy memorandum in the review of an academic administrator under this policy.
- Any deletion or modification of the questions in the attached survey forms requires approval by the Academic Senate.
- Issued: 1996-04-18
- Revised: 1996-06-04
- Revised: 1999-09-16
- Revised: 2007-08-23
- Revised: 2014-07-29