Textbooks and Other Materials Prescribed for the Use of Students - UTDPP1005
The University of Texas System Regents' Rules and Regulations, Rule 31004, Sections 6 and 7, concerning textbook selection and required approval, (http://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules/31004-rights-and-responsibilities-faculty-members) sets forth the policy and procedures regarding textbooks and other materials prescribed for the use of students. The policy of The University of Texas at Dallas is set out below.
Although generally the individual instructor or the faculty should have wide discretion in the choice of materials to be used in the courses offered by the school, frequent changes in the textbooks prescribed should be discouraged and should be made only for cogent reasons.
- Although the authorship of books, outlines, manuals and similar materials by members of the faculty and staff should be encouraged, the prescribed use of these for students is a responsibility that goes beyond that of the individual author. Where practical and equitable, the charge for outlines, syllabi, and similar materials prescribed for the use of students should be borne by the school.
- Whenever an approved incidental fee includes a charge for such materials distributed through the classroom, the prices should be as low as possible, consistent with the payment of any required royalty to the author or authors.
- Regental approval is required for all new incidental fees. Generally, approvals for such fees are considered at the February meeting of the Board. The format of incidental fee requests, including required cost data, are distributed to each School Dean.
- Any proposed change in the textbook of any course, within one year from the date of first adoption, shall be approved by the appropriate faculty, and a statement of the reasons for change shall be transmitted through the Dean to the Chief Academic Officer and the President.
- Textbooks, notebooks, manuals, or other materials for the use of students, written or prepared by a member of the faculty, shall not be prescribed for the use of students or sold to such students prior to consultation with appropriate faculty and until approved by the dean and the Provost for the President. The UTD Faculty Authored Textbook Approval Form (copy attached) shall be used for these purposes.
- Issued: 1994-05-01
- Editorial Amendments: 1998-02-02
- Editorial Amendments: 2000-09-01
- Editorial Amendments: 2006-05-16
- Editorial Amendments: 2017-01-26